Melbourne's 86 tram route as a giant open air gallery of street art

fff

Melbourne, Australia is internationally known for its street art and its trams. Melbourne Street Art 86 imagines Melbourne's 86 tram route as though it were a giant open air gallery of street art with its own regular tram service. The pages in the dark blue side bar below have photos of street art by the suburbs the tram passes through. Locations are noted by tram stop, street location and also on maps of the area that can be downloaded or printed. Other Melbourne suburbs rich in street art are also featured.

Take me to the site guide and quick gallery of street art CLICK HERE.
Tell me more about the 86 tram & sights along the way CLICK HERE.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Preston Secrets & Updates

I was working out at RMIT Bundoora today and so at the end of the day was travelling back through Preston towards Thornbury. I got out a few stops before Bell Street and walked down towards Thornbury (I ended up walking all the way to Northcote, which is a fair distance), but I was able to find very little street art. The part of Preston the 86 tram passes through is rather suburban and residential, which is probably why I found so little. I did however make a interesting discovery when I peered through a gate.

The pieces below are in a complex of abandoned buildings and whoever has created them has probably climbed over some security fences late at night or early in the morning to go about their work.

We had a street artist staying in our house for short time who was very found of exploring abandoned buildings so I guess this figures. I used to do the same thing myself when I was a lot younger than I am now, but those days are long behind me. I don't know whether I could get over a fence like this now and I am certainly not going to test my early middle age mettle - but I bet, from the hints I could see here, that these buildings are riddled with art.

I won't be adding these to the Street Art Melbourne 86 main pages, as they are not accessible to the public and getting to them would probably lead to a visit to the local constabulary if one were intercepted. Nevertheless, it seems reasonable enough to include them in a post, so here they are:










Updates
Thornbury Page
Updates today including adding the Melbourne Street Art 86 - Thornbury page, including most of the examples I have found. I haven't done the introduction yet, but the location descriptions and tram stops are in place.

Northcote photos
I also added most of the remaining Northcote photos, including what is up a narrow alley in central Northcote I had already posted a couple of photos of previously. Northcote has ended up being the largest concentration of street art in the entire 86 route and I have had to cut down on some detail shots to keep the page from becoming ridiculously long.

All that is missing now to make the site a reasonably complete guide to the street art along the 86 tram route is the rest of the City of Melbourne (ie prior to tram stop 5 at Elizabeth Street). I should get those done by early next week. Replacing dark or badly framed photographs will be an ongoing task.

Collingwood map
The final update is that I have finished the Collingwood Map and added this to the page. Both the Fitzroy and Collingwood maps are now also available as a pdf download (link below map on page).
The maps for Melbourne, Clifton Hill, Northcote and Thornbury and the overall 86 route map (with street area concentrations and local attractions) remain to be done. The maps take at least an afternoon of uninterrupted work to do, so I will likely not have them all done for a few weeks yet.








No comments:

Post a Comment